Friday, January 20, 2012

load01 01/20/2012





  • Charlie Kaufman: Thank you very much. I’m actually 
    really happy to be here; at least that’s what I’m 
    telling myself. I’ve never delivered a speech before, 
    which is why I decided to do this tonight. I wanted 
    to do something that I don’t know how to do, and 
    offer you the experience of watching someone 
    fumble, because I think maybe that’s what art 
    should offer. An opportunity to recognise our 
    common humanity and vulnerability.  
    So rather than being up here pretending I’m an 
    expert in anything, or presenting myself in a way 
    that will reinforce the odd, ritualised lecturerlecturee model, I’m just telling you off the bat that I 
    don’t know anything.  And if there’s one thing that 
    characterises my writing it’s that I always start from 
    that realisation and I do what I can to keep 
    reminding myself of that during the process. I think 
    we try to be experts because we’re scared; we 
    don’t want to feel foolish or worthless; we want 
    power because power is a great disguise. 

    tags: news

  • As Facebook broadens its Open Graph API by adding 60 new frictionless sharing apps, look for new action verbs in your feed. Here's what it all means.

    "Like" will be a lot less lonely on Facebook, with the addition of new Open Graph application verbs such as cook, eat, travel, run, or review movies.

    tags: technology

  • McLEAN, Virginia (AP) — One of the world's largest file-sharing sites was shut down Thursday, and its founder and several company executives were charged with violating piracy laws, federal prosecutors said.

    tags: news

  • The rise and fall of personal computing
    January 18, 2012 9:45 AM   Subscribe

    tags: technology

  • If someone asks me what I do all day at work, I show them this helpful infographic. (i.imgur.com)
    submitted 6 hours ago by _chendo_ to funny
    325 commentssharesavehidereport

    tags: programming

  • I put the original text here below since its blocked in most countries (and also since it's under (K)-License...).
    Original
    INTERNETS, 18th of January 2012. PRESS RELEASE, FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE.
    Over a century ago Thomas Edison got the patent for a device which would "do for the eye what the phonograph does for the ear". He called it the Kinetoscope. He was not only amongst the first to record video, he was also the first person to own the copyright to a motion picture.

    tags: news

  • Because that's exactly what we need to wake up from this slumbering, do-nothing, "occupy everything," stagnant, non-action slump we Americans are in.

    tags: news

  • A new poll suggests Canada may have reached the tipping point and a 66-per-cent majority favours legalizing marijuana.

    Hallelujah! Finally we might get a sensible public policy discussion in this country about what to do about a relatively benign substance that has been demonized and outlawed for a century yet is as readily available in schoolyards as cigarettes.

    tags: news

  • Chris Dodd responds to the SOPA/PIPA protest and blackout on the official MPAA blog calling it an "abuse of power".
    posted by loquacious (161 comments total) 15 users marked this as a favorite

    tags: worse than failure

  • 1 Google 33% 18,500
    2 Boston Consulting Group 10% 1,958
    3 SAS Institute 8% 6,046
    4 Wegmans Food Markets 5% 41,717

    tags: news

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment