Monday, January 9, 2012

load01 01/09/2012

  • “We too are an army of rapists,” anonymous soldier, letter to the editor, Time Magazine, November 12, 1945.
    What explains the lack of records regarding the number of rapes in occupation Japan by American servicemen? I briefly review the situation of rape during World War II in the European theater for which there is reasonable documentationto better understand why the names and numbers are concealed or lost. I then examine the situation postwar, focusing particularly on conditions in Japan at the beginning of the American occupation. I conclude by analyzing what little documentation I discovered about an execution for rape while writing Black Glasses Like Clark Kent, my memoir about my uncle who committed suicide after leaving me tapes about his experiences as an MP in Tokyo’s 8th Army stockade.

    tags: culture

  • About 100 soldiers at Joint Base Lewis-McChord remained restricted to the base Sunday after hundreds of sensitive items, including night-vision goggles and rifle scopes, were reported stolen from a supply area.

    tags: news

  • ONE cold, misty autumn morning, I slipped and fell. I was on my way out to do errands, the mossy wooden deck on the north side of my house was slick with dew, I was in a hurry, I skidded, and both feet flew out from under me.

    tags: culture

  • DESPITE some small signs of optimism about the United States economy, unemployment is still high, and the country seems stalled.

    Time and again, Americans are told to look to Japan as a warning of what the country might become if the right path is not followed, although there is intense disagreement about what that path might be. Here, for instance, is how the CNN analyst David Gergen has described Japan: “It’s now a very demoralized country and it has really been set back.”

    tags: news

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment