Sunday, August 7, 2011

load01 08/07/2011

  • As tradition goes, id's co-founder and technical director, John Carmack, kicks things off with his keynote address.

    tags: technology

  • In the big airports, you sometimes see three different lanes for the X-ray machines. They’re marked by a black diamond (expert travelers who know the routine and have their laptops out and shoes off), blue square (casual travelers) and green circle (families and people who need extra help).

    tags: misc

  • In the four months since I began writing an Op-Ed column, the thing that has most surprised me is how darned liberal I sound sometimes. I know that seems like a strange thing to say, so let me explain.
    Enlarge This Image

    Earl Wilson/The New York Times
    Joe Nocera
    Go to Columnist Page »
    Readers’ Comments
    Readers shared their thoughts on this article.
    Read All Comments (281) »
    Growing up in heavily Democratic Providence, R.I., in the 1950s, it was hard not to absorb the values of the Democratic Party — the party of Roosevelt, as my parents often reminded me, who had gotten the country through the Great Depression. My parents and their friends believed in a progressive income tax, in the importance of unions (my parents were public schoolteachers), and in a government that helped those who couldn’t help themselves. It wasn’t until I moved to Washington after college that I got to know any Republicans. Not until I was nearing 30, and living in Texas, did I see how conservative most of the country truly is.

    tags: politics-USA

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment