Monday, June 27, 2011

load01 06/27/2011

  • IF THERE’S ONE thing I learned in graduate school, it’s that the poet Philip Larkin was right. (“They fuck you up, your mum and dad, / They may not mean to, but they do.”) At the time, I was a new mom with an infant son, and I’d decided to go back to school for a degree in clinical psychology. With baby on the brain and term papers to write, I couldn’t ignore the barrage of research showing how easy it is to screw up your kids. Of course, everyone knows that growing up with “Mommy Dearest” produces a very different child from one raised by, say, a loving PTA president who has milk and homemade cookies waiting after school. But in that space between Joan Crawford and June Cleaver, where most of us fall, it seemed like a lot could go wrong in the kid-raising department.

    tags: culture

  • From Richard Steinberg/Mr. Smarty Pants (The Austin Chronicle):
    Professor Corbato

    I write a trivia column for a newspaper called The Austin Chronicle. Someone has asked me the origin of the word daemon as it applies to computing. Best I can tell based on my research, the word was first used by people on your team at Project MAC using the IBM 7094 in 1963. The first daemon (an abbreviation for Disk And Executive MONitor) was a program that automatically made tape backups of the file system. Does this sound about right? Any corrections or additions? Thank you for your time!

    tags: technology

  • Mystery File System
    Last week Jim posted a comment asking about reverse engineering the firmware for some Chinese routers with the intention of extracting the Web files and translating them to English.

    Although I usually work with Linux based firmware, this sounded interesting so I thought I’d investigate. Although I wasn’t able to completely recover the Web files, the process of reversing a file system format seemed like a good subject for discussion.

    tags: programming

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment