Sunday, June 26, 2011

load01 06/26/2011

  • At least 60 people died in a suicide bombing just 25 miles from Kabul yesterday. In a few days' time, a report on Afghanistan from the International Crisis Group will say that violence and the billions of dollars in international aid have brought wealthy officials and insurgents together. As a result, "the economy is increasingly dominated by a criminal oligarchy of politically connected

    tags: culture

  • “Anyone who has ever struggled with poverty knows how extremely expensive it is to be poor.”

    James Baldwin penned that line more than 50 years ago, but it seems particularly prescient today, if in a different manner than its original intent.

    tags: culture

  • “My e-mail?” The boy looks at me as if I had just suggested staying in touch by carrier pigeon. “What, you don’t have an email?” I ask, insecure now. “Sure I do. But I only use it for my parents and my grandparents,” he says. “Aren’t you on Facebook?” I am. Phew. Of course I mostly check my Facebook profile when I’m prompted by an e-mail notification, but I don’t tell him that. Trevor Dougherty is 19 and to him, I am a geriatric 36-year-old who belongs to that amorphous generation of people-who-don’t-really-get-social-networking that stretches all the way back to, well, his grandparents.

    tags: technology

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment