Friday, November 11, 2011

load01 11/11/2011

  • ONE night a few years ago, when the value of our home had collapsed, our debt was out of control and my financial planning business was shaky, I went to take out the trash.
    BUCKS

    How Bubbles Affect Our Financial Behavior
    What do youthink about Carl Richards’s article about the short sale of his home in Las Vegas?
    Post a Comment
    YOUR MONEY
    Which Way Home
    A collaboration between the Your Money staff of The New York Times and Marketplace Money, from American Public Media.
    Multimedia

    Interactive Feature
    How the Richards Family Lost Its Home
    Enlarge This Image

    Eric Thayer for The New York Times
    HARD-WON WISDOM Carl Richards, with his wife, Cori. He wrote a book based in part on lessons learned by losing his Las Vegas home in the housing crisis.
    Enlarge This Image

    Patricia Wall/The New York Times
    There was this enormous window that looked right in on the kitchen table, and through it I could see my wife, Cori, and our four children eating dinner. It was dark outside, so they couldn’t see me, and I just stood there looking at them.

    After a while, I pulled up a bucket and I sat on it, just watching my children eat. I found myself wishing that I could get back there, connected to the simple ordinary stuff of my family’s life. And as I sat and watched, filled with longing and guilt, two questions kept arising:

    How did I get here?

    tags: economics

  • More than 40 years after arriving in New York from Mexico uneducated and broke, Felix Sanchez de la Vega Guzman still can barely speak English. Ask him a question, and he will respond with a few halting phrases and an apologetic smile before shifting back to the comfort of Spanish.
    Related

    City Room: For an Immigrant, a Shrinking Business and a Maze of Obstacles (November 9, 2011)
    Times Topics: Immigration and Emigration | Entrepreneurship

    Connect With Us on Twitter
    Follow @NYTMetro for New York breaking news and headlines.
    Enlarge This Image

    Chang W. Lee/The New York Times
    Zhang Yulong, 39, has a $30-million-a-year cellphone accessories company.
    Enlarge This Image

    Chang W. Lee/The New York Times
    Kim Ki Chol, 59, from South Korea, is a successful retailer, real estate investor and civic leader.
    Readers’ Comments
    Readers shared their thoughts on this article.
    Read All Comments (181) »
    Yet Mr. Sanchez has lived the great American success story. He turned a business selling tortillas on the street into a $19 million food manufacturing empire that threaded together the Mexican diaspora from coast to coast and reached back into Mexico itself.

    tags: culture

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment