Saturday, October 22, 2011

load01 10/22/2011

  • The new voice-recognition feature in Apple's iPhone 4S, known as Siri, carries out simple tasks for you when you speak to it, but only if you’re an English speaker in the United States.
    Siri can handle simple tasks, like composing, sending, and reading text messages, and checking the weather report, in five languages: U.S. English, U.K. English, Australian English, French (France), and German. But if you want to use Siri to its full potential, you have to speak American English and you need to physically be in the U.S. Ask Siri to find a local business (ATM? car-towing service?) or get directions for you in any other language, and you’ll be out of luck. Even if you’re in the U.S., if the language option is set to U.K. English, Siri will tell you, sorry, but no.

    tags: technology

  • Some time over the winter of 2010-11 I began to be gorged with blood – or, rather, my blood itself began to be gorged with red blood cells, with haemoglobin. I didn't pay it much attention – mostly because I didn't realise it was happening, the only perceptible symptoms being a certain livid tinge to my face and to my hands, which, I joked to family and friends, had started to resemble those pink Marigold washing-up gloves. When I took my gorged hands out of my jeans pockets the tight denim hems left equally vivid bands smeared across their backs – these, I facetiously observed, were the colour of those yellow Marigold washing-up gloves.

    tags: culture

  • The media portrayed it as a fight between good cops and evil drug dealers. According to that point of view... posted by Fiasco da Gama at 12:52 AM - 3 comments

    tags: culture

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment